● 1 pound lump crabmeat
● 4 green onions, thinly sliced
● ⅔ cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
● 1 ½ teaspoon Old Bay seafood seasoning
● ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
● 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
● 1 egg
● 6 tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
● ¼ cup chopped jarred roasted red bell pepper
● 2 teaspoons hot sauce
● 1 ½ teaspoon lemon zest
● 1 tablespoon canola oil, more if needed
Place crab meat in a large bowl and use your fingers to gently feel for and
remove any pieces of shell or cartilage. Add green onions, bread crumbs,
seafood seasoning and pepper and toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk
together mustard, egg and 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise and pour over
the crab mixture. Toss until combined, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a blender, combine bell pepper, hot sauce,
zest and remaining 4 tablespoons mayonnaise; blend until smooth. Cover
and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Form the crab mixture into 24 small cakes, each about 1 1/2 inches in
diameter. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet, indirect, about 400 degrees.
Working in batches, fry cakes until nicely browned and cooked through,
about 3 minutes per side. Drain briefly on a paper-towel lined plate and
serve warm with the pepper sauce.